Friday, February 15, 2008

Out of Commission

Have been out of commission due to two cystoscopies this week--not fun!!! The first one was done on Monday. When dye was put in, it made the stone migrate back upwards--just like passing a kidney stone all over again--Aaarghh!! Our local hospital didn't have quite long enough equipment to get it out, so I had to go to a larger hospital in the city and have the same procedure done the following night---again not fun! They were able to extract the stone and, at that time, put in a stent. The stent was taken out yesterday, with spasms as a side effect. Little did I know that these spasms are as bad as passing the kidney stone itself. They typically last between 45 minutes to an hour and are quite painful (I call it the "take me to the emergency room" type pain) and put me flat on my back. But these spasms should start to decrease here in the next 24 hours. Taking lots of OTC pain medication and have been in bed most of the week. We are discussing the possibility of postponing our trip--are scheduled to leave Tuesday, and will see how the next few days go. We really want to bring our daughter home! Blessings.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

That sounds very painful, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I will definitely be praying for you!
(((hugs)))
Kelli

candy said...

Oh no! I sure hope, and pray, that you are feeling better now!
Thinking of you!
Hugs & Prayers,
Candy

Julieann said...

(((Paula))) I am so sorry you have been going through this--I hope you are better by the time you read this!!

((Gentle Hugs))

Julieann

Anonymous said...

Sounds painful! Hope you feel better soon! ; )

Elizabeth said...

I happened to drop in and read your latest entry about your health troubles and my heart goes out to you. I have had a stint two times, one put in while I was awake (sheer agony) and one while I was asleep. I know all about the spasms, etc. I don't know how you are dealing with the pain with only OTC drugs. Were you awake when they placed the stint?

If you ever need anyone to talk to about this or someone extra to vent to please feel free to write me at: appleseedacademy@yahoo.com.

Otherwise, hang in there. It will get better!

Elizabeth