Thursday, November 8, 2007

Gumdrop Cookies


I've been experimenting with different types of cookies for the past few months to take to our craft and cookie sale at church. Today, I pulled one from Gooseberry Patch's Christmas in the Country. I must say these are really good, and am thinking about taking several dozen of them. Here's the recipe.

Spiced Gumdrop Cookies (I used the Brach's Spice Drops)

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup shortening
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup gumdrops, chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

First, I should say that I didn't use any nuts. Mix together the sugar, the brown sugar, shortening, beaten eggs, and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients. Add the gumdrops and nuts (if you wish). Mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for a little under 15 minutes. Watch carefully toward the end to make sure they don't get too brown. This made about 3-1/2 dozen cookies for me. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Julieann said...

They look great and perfect Christmas colors too:)

Julieann

Paula said...

Hi Paula,
I popped over to your site after seeing a comment you left on With A Grateful Heart. I couldn't pass up meeting another Paula!
Your gumdrop cookies look scrumptious. I love the Gooseberry Patch books. They have such wonderful recipes and craft ideas. Have a great day!
Paula