Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fall Crafting

Above is a photo of fall leaves that were painted and then pressed onto large brown paper bags to create a placemat. A few years ago, my son did a project at school that involved painting leaves and then pressing them onto a sweatshirt. I liked the idea so much that I used it for a women's fellowship meeting last fall. You can simply go out into your yard and gather some leaves and press them flat into a book for a few days until you are ready to use them. I found the big brown paper bags at Wal-mart in the garbage bag section and took them home and cut sections of the bags into placemat size. Then I used fall colors of paint--red, yellow, orange, green, and brown--and painted the vein side of the leaf and then turned the leaf over and pressed the leaf (painted side down) onto the placemat. Keep pressing on the leaf for a little while to make sure the paint is evenly distributed on your placemat and then peel off gently. This way, the leaf's veins will show on the paper. This is a fun project to do with kids, although I'm sure the sweatshirt would go over better with them!! Have a blessed day!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful project! The placemats turned out very nicely!
Kelli

Julieann said...

How beautiful Paula!!! I bet you could laminate them to keep them for a long time too:)

Julieann

Paula said...

Julieann, I have never given a thought to laminating them, but that is a wonderful idea!! I'm going to look into it. Thank you!!

Blessings,
Paula