Sunday, August 12, 2007

When Did Sunday.....


become a day of work? For the past few years, I have started to notice that Sundays are no longer a day of rest, but rather working to get caught up with tasks not accomplished during the week such as laundry, small amounts of shopping, cleaning, and cooking or baking. After attending church on Sunday mornings, the afternoon is filled with the above activities. It no longer seems a day of rest or spending simple leisurely time. This didn't happen when I was a child. Our Sundays were simple. I spent the afternoons with my parents relaxing or we travelled to my grandparents house and spent the day with cousins. My mother didn't shop nor did she do much cooking on Sundays. Now, even sports activities are taking up our Sundays. I feel a very strong need to get back to Sundays that don't have a lot of activity taking place, but struggle with this as I'm sure many people do today.

How are your Sundays spent??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My family attends morning and evening church. In between has been spent many ways: napping, going out to lunch, doing laundry, cleaning. It varies, but I would like to make it a day of relaxing and enjoying the family. Playing board games would be a treat. I must learn more discipline in the areas of keeping house, and doing the weekly laundry and cleaning on Saturday, and not putting it off.